One of the most forgotten about travel resources is a student I.D. Many, many places around the world offer special discounts to students and simply showing a card that you probably have in your wallet anyway is the key to unlock these savings.
The trick to making the best use of your status as a student is to always remember to ask if a student rate is available. Most places will not advertise the fact that they have student rates available. They will not ask you if you are a student either, you typically have to make the move and see if they have a discount.
Student discounts apply many more places than you might think, here’s just some examples we’ve taken advantage of:
- museum entries in almost any country,
- discounted transportation in trains and buses,
- savings in a sightseeing bus in London,
- a theater performance we went to in Austria,
- a discount on communications devices in Rome,
- travel insurance in Costa Rica,
- a restaurant in Cordoba,
- membership in student networks of travelers
- famous sites like the Pyramids in Egypt, the ruins of Angkor Wat and the Palaces of Jaipur in India.
We’ve accessed many necessities and leisure activities at great rates thanks to our student ID’s. Remember the key is just ask!